Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mitt Romney on Abortion

Romney disclosed that he became committed to legalized abortion after a relative died during an illegal abortion. The disclosure came after Romney, who said he is personally opposed to abortion, was asked to reconcile his beliefs with his political support for abortion rights. “It is since that time that my family will not force our beliefs on that matter,” He said the abortion made him see “that regardless of one’s beliefs about choice, you would hope it would be safe and legal.”
Joe Battenfeld in Boston Herald - Oct 26, 1994

“On a personal basis, I don’t favor abortion,” he said. “However, as governor of the commonwealth, I will protect a woman’s right to choose under the laws of the country and the commonwealth. That’s the same position I’ve had for many years.”    
Erik Arvidson, Lowell Sun - Mar 20, 2002

Romney vetoed legislation to expand stem cell research because it allowed the cloning of human embryos for use in stem cell experiments--a practice Romney said amounts to creating life in order to destroy it. The Legislature overrode the veto.
His veto of the emergency contraception measure was also overridden. That bill requires hospital emergency room doctors to offer the medication to rape victims, and would make it available without prescription from pharmacies.        
Associated Press on NewsMax.com - Jul 27, 2005

“I was effectively pro-choice when I ran for office. When I became governor of Massachusetts, the first time a bill came to my life that dealt with life, I simply could not side with--with taking a life, and I came on the side of life. Every bill that came to my desk, every issue that related to protecting the sanctity of life, I came down on the side of life. I’m pro-life. I’m not going to apologize for becoming pro-life. I’m proud to be pro-life.”         
2007 Des Moines Register Republican Debate - Dec 12, 2007
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Romney has had a slowly evolving view on abortion. His statements continually try to point to himself as being pro-life, even while he stated he wouldn’t change state laws to outlaw it. That said, he vetoed every bill that came across his desk regarding further funding for abortions while he was governor of Massachusetts, all of which were overturned by the supermajority Democrat legislature. He has also stated that he would be happy if Roe v. Wade was overturned, yet no statements exist of him actively pushing for that. Because of this I’d put him in the Pro-Choice category, he says he is pro-life but doesn’t believe the government should get involved, which is effectively the same thing to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newt Gingrich on Abortion
Ron Paul on Abortion
Rick Santorum on Abortion

No comments:

Post a Comment